Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Getting Kicked in the Head

I read my blog from one year ago this morning.  It's been nearly one year since I completed the Ironman World Championship in Kona.  At this time last year I was counting down every day, reflecting on my preceding Ironman events.  This day's reflection was on Ironman St. George 2012, and my daughter asked me if my favorite line that Ironman is a metaphor for life was about "getting kicked in the head every day."  Wow!  A year later, dealing with COVID-19 and everything it has wrought to upend the lives of everyone throughout the world, that thought rings true.  

I was pretty tired last night.  I should know why.  I've run 197 miles in the month of September, nearly 30 of which were over this past weekend.  The fatigue finally added up and slammed me last night.  I guess that's my kick in the head, for the week.  I have a decision to make this morning.  Do I run three miles, so that I can be proud of achieving a 200 mile month, or do I scrap the idea and focus solely on recovering?  Can I do both?  I realized last night that my slow run yesterday expended too much energy.  I suppose that means that I really was still carrying around a significant amount of fatigue, but was either ignoring it, or just not recognizing it.  That's always the challenge.

My right glutei tightened up yesterday at the end of my run.  That means I need to do Romanian dead lifts, the cure for my glute tightness.  A massage helped, but the tightness is still there this morning.  Nothing that I haven't lived with before.  

I'm going to avoid blogging about last night's debate, with one exception, my tweet regarding the cognitive function of Vice President Biden has already garnered over 450 likes.  I think that's a record for me.  More importantly, I was proud of his performance on multiple levels.  He took what a bully kept throwing at him and responded with grace, poise and toughness.  I really don't like bullies, and watching the debate was emotionally exhausting.  Another day of getting kicked in the head.

No comments: