Friday, September 11, 2020

Reflections

19 years ago today, I was rounding in the early morning at Garden Terrace in Aurora, CO, an Alzheimer's Nursing Facility. The television was on and the news of the first plane crashing into the Twin Towers was playing.  The tension in the facility was palpable and it was one of those moments when it became clear that a facility full of people with dementia took their cues from the staff and the television set.  It didn't take me long to order the television sets turned off.  I happened to be the medical director of the facility and it was obvious to me that this was not healthy for the residents.  They couldn't understand what was going on.  Not that any of us could either.  

Today is a reminder that we are all Americans.  We are one people who live in a country founded on certain principles.  We talk about liberty. We talk about freedom.  We only have these things if we have each other.  And we must also have each others backs.  Of all of the days in the year, I will reflect today on the importance of looking forward and approaching life positively.  Every day can be a challenge, but that's life.  

The residents in my facility nineteen years ago did not understand what was happening.  I did, but I also understood that they didn't.  We are all Americans and we have to look out for each other. 

No comments: