Saturday, September 26, 2020

Writing, Blogging, Running and Meditating

Perhaps it isn't a surprise that I haven't blogged since I wrote about Pete.  Death has been something that I've struggled with, though the COVID-19 Pandemic has somehow brought me to a place of greater comfort with the concept.  My daily blog is supposed to be a habit, and when I wake up knowing what I want to blog about, it's quite easy.  Over the past 10 days, I'm not sure that I've woken up with that knowledge.  Instead, I've awakened with any number of actionable tasks, many of which include writing of some sort, whether it be sending email thank you's to people who attended our Zoom Biden/Harris Campaign Event, or just catching up on the countless emails I have to respond to.  Nevertheless, there is a difference between writing and blogging, and today I'm back to blogging.  Maybe that's good, maybe that is a reminder to me. Writing and blogging might have something in common with running and meditating.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've encountered the feeling that I've wanted to run more.  In fact, one of those feelings coincided with the desire to get out and run on the trails.  Moreover, running on the trails was associated with the idea of running long.  Since early July, my runs have been limited to 8 miles.  Granted, running 8 miles every day has been its own challenge.  Some of those runs include some degree of mental intensity, others allow me to think about things I have to do that day, and others might actually be meditative in nature.  There's no question that doing a long run on the trails will have a meditative component.  At least, that's why I think the trails are calling me.

Just like not blogging, I really haven't been meditating.  True meditation really allows one to let the mind relax and be free.  It's something that I've definitely struggled with since the outbreak of COVID-19.  I have a hard time freeing my mind from the many tasks and pressures at hand.  Trail running, with the caveat that I can't trip and fall, could be just the right thing for me. There's also a matter of numbers.  I've been really good about not being a slave to numbers, but I've run 35 miles this week, and a long trail run will allow me to push my weekly numbers to heights they've rarely been to.  That is, of course, if I top off today's long run with another run tomorrow.  I diverge from being in the moment. That, after all, is the point of meditating and blogging

We'll see what the day brings.  I know a route to the beach, and I'll see how far my legs take me.  I might just end up doing a lot of walking on the way back.  That would be ok too.  It's not about numbers, it's not even about goals.  It's about feeling.

No comments: