Friday, January 3, 2020

Who Really Cares?

I read a good article today about the lack of Geriatricians in this country.  Good, from the perspective that at least it shone a light on the issue.  Unfortunately, the author chose to write a relatively positive piece, pointing out the projects that are in the works to try to impact the delivery of care to older adults.  In that, she missed the point, and the opportunity to truly shine a light on what is wrong with the state of affairs of Geriatrics in our country.  This is a reporter that I truly respect, so I emailed her, offering to share my insights.  I guess I was too late.  She said that since she just wrote about the subject, that she won't be coming back to it in the near future, possibly for years. It got me to thinking who really cares?

I've spent my entire career advocating for older adults.  I've put that advocacy above my family and honestly, myself, on many occasions.  Why? Because it matters to me. Because I care.  The question is, is that enough? Or, other the other hand, is it too much?  Here's a respected journalist whose response to my offering to add insight is that she'd done with the topic.  What are her motives?  In fact, what are anyone's motives?  I often have to remind myself, most people are looking out for themselves.  I don't really expect people to do otherwise.  When I left my last job, I didn't try to bring anyone with me.  I didn't try to persuade others to leave.  I recognized that they had families, they had responsibilities.  I was fortunate insofar as I was able to leave.  I was fine in doing so.  On the other hand, I've made similar decisions throughout my life without regard to their impact.  I've usually followed my gut, and often have done what I felt was right, regardless of the consequences.  It's who I am.  Anyone who really knows me, knows that's what the get from me.  The truth, whether they like it or not.

Which brings me back to my question.  Who really cares?  I've tried to get op-ed's published on some topics that I feel strongly about. I haven't had any luck.  I certainly share my thoughts on social media, and I have to admit that I do have some people that follow me who will share what I'm saying.  Does it make a difference?  I guess only time will tell.  That's part of the challenge.  You can only try.  The results will come, or they won't. I guess that's the point, and I'm sure that I've written about this before.  What really matters is that I care.  There's really no one else that I should be concerned about.  Even if I were the only person in the world that cared about the care of older adults, which I'm not, I would still try to change things.

I shared with a colleague today that I know that I don't know everything, and that my opinions are always right.  I love nothing more than to brainstorm and have people question my beliefs.  It forces me to develop stronger ones.  Sometimes, I change my mind.  Sometimes, I'm even more emboldened than when I started.  Because I care.

No comments: