Thursday, January 23, 2020

Republicans Aren't Responding to the Facts

I'm watching CNN and I continue to hear Republican pundits responding to the impeachment trial with "if the 50/50 Senate can't agree, then they shouldn't impeach."  I have yet to hear Republican pundits actually respond to the charges.  I'm truly looking forward to the White House rebuttal to the Democrats case.  I've been an expert witness, and it's a typical tactic for the side that doesn't have an actual case to avoid actually responding to the issues.  This isn't encouraging.  At the least, if the White House said, we did it, and why not, president's have been doing stuff like this for years, I think we could then focus on whether that's ok.  I was willing to accept such an argument until today.  My mother used to say, if everyone jumps off a bridge, should you?  Of course not!

I'm truly struggling with the concept that our president was trying to use a foreign government to investigate a political opponent, especially when the timeline was temporally related to Biden announcing that he was running for president and the polls showed him beating trump.  I just can't imagine the founding fathers finding this behavior acceptable.  The other fascinating line of reasoning was the one laying out the "there's no quid pro quo" remark by Ambassador Sondland.  Sondland had texted Taylor.  Sondland texted Taylor that the President had said there was no quid pro quo.  However, under oath, Sondland acknowledged that he lied in his text.  His text message was not sent under oath, but his testimony was under oath.

Under oath.  Again, that's a big deal.  Donald trump will not say anything under oath, because he lies all of the time and knows better.  He knows that he gets away with it.  He knows that much of the electorate has come to expect his lying and are actually immunized against the impact of the fact that our president is a lying bully.

I'll keep an open mind and listen to how the White House rebuts all of this, but I'm skeptical that they'll actually try to do so.  It's more important for them to appeal to their base, get the Republican senators in line to acquit and focus on the election.  While I agree with Adam Schiff that trump could do damage in the last year of his presidency, I pray that the damage would be limited.  I hope that the American people will be the final jury on this lying bullying, narcissistic and sociopathic president.

No comments: