Thursday, January 2, 2020

20:20, a 5K Journey for the New Year!

So, while I'd love to make running a 5K in under 20 minutes my ultimate goal, I decided that, in honor of the New Year, I'd just focus on 20:20.  Here are some numbers that align with this goal (from a Jack Daniel's VDOT calculator):  200's=45" (full recovery), 48" (Intervals), 52" (threshold);  400's=90" (full recovery), 96" (Intervals), 104" (threshold).  I could go on from here with 800's, 1km, and one mile times.  Suffice it to say, the 1 mile time with full recovery is 6:01.  I haven't been there in awhile, but I believe it's possible.  There is no question in my mind based on today's (January 1st, 2020) workout that the 200 and 400 times are possible.  In fact, I believe that's essentially where I am.  Which means that I need to build durability in relation to carrying out multiple repeats of these times.

Why 20:20?  First, it's symbolic.  Second, the numbers that seem to go into getting there make sense. Third, why put up a goal that I've only achieved once before in my life (sub-20 minutes)?  I'd rather get to the 20:20 goal first, and then work on getting below twenty minutes.  Have I set a goal that's too high?  Maybe, but that's my modus operandi anyway.  Furthermore, I believe in data and the data would suggest that this is a reasonable goal.

My coach gave me some workout ideas, including a set of 200-200-400 that can be repeated. I did my first set today, and actually hit the numbers that I've listed above.  Tweaked my hip a little, so will be careful before doing this again, but expect that will be possible soon.  The other workout is to expand my 100m uphill sprint intervals to 150m's, which will take me between 30 and 40 seconds.  From a metabolic pathway perspective, this should push the right buttons, all the while also working on building strength.

I have my goal for the year, and my new journey.  20:20:)

No comments: