Saturday, January 18, 2020

Focus on the Breath

One of the key elements of meditation is focusing on the breath. That's actually not specifically trying to breath, or breathing hard, but actually focusing the mind on the actual act of breathing.  It's a means of being in the moment.  I've meditated every day this year.  Sometimes I do it earlier in the day, sometimes later, although, earlier is probably better, in order to set a standard for the entire day.  On the other hand, if I haven't been as successful with being in the moment throughout the day, meditating before I go to bed might actually prepare me for the next day.  At least, it helps me to sleep.  It's easy to allow the mind to wander and before you know it, it's thinking about things that you don't really want to think about.  So, I focus on the breath.

I've recently had an increase in my feelings of anxiety.  I'm not entirely sure why.  There are a multitude of possible reasons.  One of the things that keeps popping up is my sensitivity to any struggles that those close to me have.  I have this thing about wanting to help those around me. That has always served me well as a geriatrician.  It also pays off for the charitable boards that I'm part of. When it comes to those close to me, I have a strongly held innate desire to do anything and everything it takes to be of help. With that desire to help comes the weight it also puts on me.  That weight is certainly a major source of my anxiety.

Anxiety is like a pyramid.  It is built upon any number of stresses that combine to build a base that ultimately bubbles to the surface.  It can be exposed at any time and it isn't always obvious why it comes out.  Hence, the focus on the breath.  Meditation is an important tool for which to deal with anxiety.  Focusing on ones breath is a key element in meditation.  Since the root cause of anxiety isn't always obvious, the need to identify the feeling and not succumb to it, is the prime challenge.  Therein lies the need to focus on the breath.  It's a way to stay centered, to acknowledge a feeling, but not to enhance or hide that feeling.  Neither of those approaches is helpful.  Ultimately, we must find ways to deal with our emotions.  It's all part of a process.


No comments: