Thursday, January 2, 2020

Reflections on an Industry

I spent most of last year reflecting on the post acute and long term care industry.  In many ways, the conclusions that I ultimately came to are relevant to most health care businesses.  Today, I actually spent a fair amount of time contemplating these reflections, some of it with others, and some of it on my own.  The one thing I really want to focus on is that it's easy to throw stones and complain.  It's much harder to come up with effective solutions to problems.  You really should never do one without the other.  From a leadership and management perspective, that's always a credo that I've lived by.  I'm ready to apply it to my 2019 reflections and the experiences that I've had over the last thirty years.

I've identified the reality that the long term cafe industry is essentially a real estate play.  I've written an op-ed, but have had no luck getting it published, yet.  I've shared my insight during some presentations and am looking at other ways to share this knowledge in a pragmatic way.  How does one change an entire industry?  How does one change the ageism that is endemic in our society?  Taking on an entire industry and trying to change society's mores is not an easy mission to take on.

Where do I start?  Today, I reached out to identify opportunities to present my views to a relatively large audience.  I've laid out the key elements of a presentation that defines the problems and then identifies solutions to those problems.  Which brings me back to where I started.  Complaining doesn't solve problems, effective solutions solve problems.  My year of reflection has come to its completion.  It's time to figure out how to message what I've learned.


No comments: