Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Cleansing the Mind

A good friend of mine reminded me of an adage that I have on my bathroom wall.  Don't worry about things you have no control over.  It's a great adage to live by, and one I put on my bathroom wall after reading about it stated by a 100 year old who said it was an important part of getting to 100.  Last night, I had more dreams, at least they weren't of the shark variety.  I realized, however, that they were about my mind trying to cleanse itself.  At least my brain knew what was needed.  I've also been meditating in order to cleanse the mind.  In today's crazy world, this is an ongoing struggle.

Last year, I had a single minded focus of Ironman training.  In a lot of ways, that single mindedness actually went a long way towards keeping my mind relatively clean from worry and other negative thoughts.  I typically went to bed every night thinking about the next days workout.  One of my favorite tools for falling asleep was to visualize myself doing an upcoming Ironman.  I usually fell asleep before I even got on the bike!

The mind is an amazing organism.  I continue to try to understand it, and even to try to gain some control over it.  In some ways, I really shouldn't bother.  It feels like my mind might know how to take care of itself!

No comments: