Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 197: It's Getting Real

I have 7 1/2 weeks before participating in my life's dream of competing at the Ironman World Championship in Kona.  The last few weeks have been amazing.  I've written about how why swim, bike and run are at levels that they haven't been at in nearly a decade.  It's time to start visualizing the race, which is something that I like to do.  I'm looking forward to the fact that the roads will be in great condition, unlike many of the roads I ride on here, especially the roads I rode on Monday.  That will be to my advantage on race day, although a windy day will definitely have it's own say as to how the bike ride goes.  With that said, Kona is all about the experience, and however the winds and weather decide to be, as I ride along the Queen K Highway, I'll know throughout the day that I'm doing the Ironman World Championship.  It will never be boring, and I won't get tired.  This is a once in a lifetime experience, and I plan to appreciate and experience every minute of it!

Yesterdays swim continued to confirm the fact that my swim is better than ever.  I swam 4000 yards without stopping.  My stroke rate is as low as it's ever been.  I think that I'm expending less energy and gaining confidence in being able to maintain a solid pace and effort for the entire ironman swim.
There will be more days like this over the next 6 weeks.  It was also good to go out and run for ninety minutes today after Monday's bike and yesterdays swim.  Friday will bring me to another long bike and Sunday will be another 20 mile run.  Neither of these days cause me any concern, and in fact, I'm looking forward to them.  I'm excited as I begin to recognize that Kona will be her before I know it!

One interesting thing to come out of the last few months is the recognition that I'm enjoying this level of training, but that I doubt that I'd want to do this year round.  It's ok to immerse myself for Kona, but I have other things that matter to me in my life, and essentially making my training a full time job is probably not what would really excite me.  Experiencing Kona, on the other hand, is definitely something that is allowing me to do what I've been doing.  For the next few weeks, as I ramp up my training, get in longer swims, bikes and runs, the reality of Kona will be my incentive.  It's getting real!

No comments: