Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 182: What Matters

With under 10 week to go before Kona, a lifelong dream, I'm regularly reminded to think about what matters in life.  My priority is preparing to acquit myself well at Kona.  I rarely do anything in life part way, and this is no exception.  To go and not give it 110% would not be who I am.  In fact, I wouldn't go if that was my plan.  With the commercialization of Ironman, and the fact that WTC is a publicly traded company with an idiot for a CEO, it would have been easy to not even bother going.  However, I'd set my mind on going to Kona as a Legacy athlete, and that's what I'm going to do.  Moreover, as I've written, I have goals and I'm going to give it my best to achieve those goals. At the end of the day, however, it's still able about the journey.  That's what matters.

I definitely have other things in my life that matter.  My family is the greatest priority.  I would do anything for my wife, daughters, son-in-law and grandson.  Right now, training for Kona is my next priority.  I've allowed myself to get caught up a little in the social media swirl of the recent shootings, which is also part of who I am.  I've written about the textbook that I'm editing, and that priority is next and will move up the ladder right after Kona.  I've also got a job offer, which I'm accepting, and I'm really excited about.

The term "multi-tasking" didn't exist when I was growing up, but I've been doing it all my life.  There isn't one thing that matters, there are usually several.  With that said, there's a limit to what we can focus on, and setting priorities is important right now.  That's what matters.

No comments: