Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 183: Torture

I was trying to come up with a word to describe today's workouts, and the word torture came to mind!  In reality, I loved my workouts today, so maybe torture isn't the best word, but I think it's still pretty descriptive.  I started the day with a two hour run.  It was already getting warm, and it was actually humid out.  My run is on a hilly course, so despite my goal to run comfortably, there were times that I did push a little.  I brought one bottle of fluids with me, and by the time I got home my running shirt and shorts were drenched in sweat.  I did put in a few hard 3-4 minute efforts during the latter part of my run, but overall, it was pretty chill.  Considering that I have a 20 miler coming up on Sunday, I'm quite happy that today's 12 mile run seemed pretty routine.

After I got home, I jumped in my car and drove the one mile to the hot yoga place.  That's really where the torture started.  Ninety minutes of hot yoga, after a 2 hour run, was the veritable icing on the cake!  I pretty much kept up with the workouts, though towards the end, took it a little easier.  I downed two full bottles of fluids before we finished, and felt like I'd actually kept up reasonably well with my hydration.  I was also careful with a few of the moves that might have been setting off my low back.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.  The cool thing was that when I left the hot yoga place, it felt cool outside.  When I got in my car, I realized that the temperature outside was 80 degrees!  My acclimatization has begun!

I will plan to continue to torture myself with heat and humidity for the next nine weeks.  I have dedicated myself to having the heat and humidity of Kona feel like nothing.  In the past, I've had a lot of success with heat acclimatization, adding in the humidity is new, but I'm already feeling like I will be successful at doing this.  And so, I will continue to torture myself.

No comments: