Thursday, August 8, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 184: Perfection

I'm a perfectionist.  To the extent that this has been a challenge to me most of my life.  At times, my perfectionistic tendencies have actually caused me to purposely not try to be perfect. As of late, I've really tried to reduce my tendency to want to achieve perfection.  With the exception of today and my swim technique.  When my swim instructor told me to swim a 100 yards with a perfect kick, hand entry and front quadrant technique, it hit me.  Malcolm Gladwell knew what he was talking about.  From now on, I don't leave the pool without doing 100 yards perfectly.  In fact, that will be my drill focus.  Now, with swimming, trying to maintain perfection throughout every aspect of the swim stroke is next to impossible.  However, today something else clicked in terms of my greatest weakness.

10 years ago, I broke my left clavicle.  I actually felt that my stroke improved due to attention to one armed swimming for nearly 8 weeks.  Of course, that arm was the good arm, my right arm.  It's no wonder that my right arm enters the water while I synchronously kick with my right foot and ankle.  It's also no wonder that my right arm and leg are stronger at doing this.  When I focused on doing the same thing with my left arm and leg today, it was hard.  It was very tiring.  I'd bet that my muscles of my left arm and leg aren't used to the effort. And, so, that will be my focus. Along with doing it perfectly.

Practice does make perfect, and when it comes to swimming, that is a must.  I'm really excited as to where my work on my swim can take me going forward. Even in a matter of 9 weeks, I think that I can accomplish a lot if I'm dedicated and consistent.  Today, when I kept my focus, my swim times for 100 yards were consistently 1:32.  I don't believe that was accidental.  I think that is my goal for endurance swimming.  Right now I'm able to swim 1000 yards consistently at about 1:47 pace/100 yards.  My instincts tell me that I can reduce that to 1:32 pace with proper form and practice that will strengthen the muscles necessary to achieve this.  And so, when it comes to my swim technique, I'll welcome the inner perfectionist in me!

No comments: