Sunday, August 4, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 180: Back on the Bike

I've spent the last week "recovering" from the Santa Rosa 70.3.  Today was my first day on the bicycle.  It was already hot out, and I just rode comfortably for an hour and a half.  I could have ridden longer, but today was just about getting back into the swing of things.  It felt good.  At the same time, I realized that I was still a little tired.  The last few days were certainly not easy, despite the fact that I didn't exercise once during those three days.  Over 10 hours of driving, a ton of time in meetings, is a workout in its own right.  Getting on my bike felt natural and good.  My legs felt fine.  Of course, my hilly route is anything but easy, and I definitely had not choice but to put some degree of effort into going up some of the hills.  My legs were a little tired, but overall I felt fine.  I could have gone on for another hour an a half, but that would most likely have doubled my fatigue level.  It's not time for that yet.

This coming week is about putting in volume.  Volume on the bike, volume in the water, and running volume.  The running volume will culminate in my first 20 mile training run next Sunday.  I'm looking forward to putting time in on the bike, and even more so starting to do some regular 5000 yard swims.  In many ways I've already made a good recovery from last weeks race.  Back on the bike.  Nine weeks and 6 days until Kona.

No comments: