Monday, August 12, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 188: Overthinking Things

I've been reading race reports from other athletes who've done the Ironman World Championship in Kona.  It's part of my preparation.  I figure that I can learn from others experiences. Well, I think that I've gone too far.  In reading other athletes race reports, I was bound to come across any number of less than positive experiences.  One, for example, has to do with the wind conditions at Kona, which I know can be pretty brutal.  However, this is the type of situation I really have no control over.  I also know about the heat and humidity, which I'm already working on.  Somehow, last night, I actually became a little anxious over the unknown.  That's not the direction I'm trying to go in.  In fact, I pride myself on having done 14 Ironman's and that I've learned how to stay in the moment and deal with anything that comes my way. Maybe I'm taking this race a little too seriously?  What's new for me?

The only thing that I can truly control is my training.  That not only includes the workouts I do, but my recovery, nutrition, sleep, etc.  This race is my life's dream and I've been approaching it as such.  It's time to back off a bit from the mental over preparation and stick to the things that I know about.  The weather will be whatever it's going to be, and I'll deal with it like I have any race where I've encountered untoward conditions.  I'll embrace whatever comes my way and find a way to enjoy it!  I remember one year at the Oceanside half ironman, it rained, and it was cold.  I only wore my trisuit, and I remember thinking how much I loved racing in inclement weather, which wasn't true. But, I made it the truth that day.

I know it's going to be hot and humid in Kona, and I've not only started my preparation for that, but also my mental state of embracing it.  Heat and humidity are not only my friend, they are conditions that I look forward to racing in!  The wind is another story.  Well, not really!  I love windy weather.  I can certainly call upon my experience at St. George in 2012.  I've also ridden in high winds many times.  Granted, I have a new triathlon bike, and I may not be as used to riding it in the wind than my previous bike, but I'll be fine.  Probably the scariest part of riding in the wind is while descending.  At least I know that my position out of my aerobars is still pretty fast on my new bike, so if it comes down to getting out of my aerobars on race day, I'll be fine.

I can't control the wind, or the weather.  I can't control anything other than myself.  There's no need to overthink anything at this point.  On race day, I'll stay in the moment and enjoy the experience.  That's all the thinking I'll need to do.

No comments: