Friday, February 28, 2020

Meditative Running

Today was meditative.  I ran a very hilly 11.3 miles comfortably.  I let my mind do whatever it wanted to do.  Some of the time was just enjoying the moments during the run. Some of the time was spent thinking about a variety of things I'm presently engaged with.  I really am able to put myself in a meditative state during these types of runs.  I was also able to just run.  I haven't done a run like this since Kona.  I have to admit that I miss it.  I guess I really do like long runs and the feeling that they bring.

Running for nearly two hours not only felt good, but my legs also felt good. Good enough to go for a swim after my run.  And, my swim went fine as well.  Now I get to see how my legs feel tomorrow morning.  There is value in meditation.  There is value in running.  Meditation is healthy.  There is definitely something positive about comfortable distance training, whether it be running or swimming.  Tomorrow, I'll see how my cycling meditative skills are doing.  After Kona, it's been hard to know how this type of training feels again.  I was definitely at peace most of last year during my training for Kona.  Not doing that type of training has been a change for me.  Not that I've been feeling like doing this type of training.  Suddenly, I feel different.

I've been meditating daily every day this year.  There's certainly a difference between meditating for 10 minutes and meditating during a long run, bike or swim.  If I start doing more of this type of training, it will be interesting to see how it is reflected in my feelings of anxiety, or lack thereof.  Today was a great start to meditative running.

No comments: