Thursday, February 27, 2020

Finding Peace

I found peace today.  After a full day of "work," I stopped at the pool on the way home.  I got in the water and started swimming.  I focused on my form and feeing comfortable.  I let at peace.  An hour later, I got out of the pool.  I could have kept swimming.  My shoulders felt fine, my arms felt fine.  I felt fine.  Moreover, I was at peace.  There is no better form of meditation than swimming.  Swimming comfortably is perfect.  I wasn't trying to swim fast. I wasn't trying to do anything.  The only thing that I focused on was feeling one with the water.  I was at peace.

What's remarkable about today's swim was that I haven't swam in well over two months, with the exception of a short swim early this week.  The fact that I could jump in the water and swim for an hour straight was fascinating to me.  Obviously, my form is still solid.  From a strength perspective, I was a little slower than I had been six months ago, but not appreciably so.  Crazy.  I'm not sure why this was the case.  I've been focused on running short distances and I've been doing a lot of body weight strength work.  Somehow, that seems to have helped maintain a basic level of fitness.

I've done two 6 mile runs this week, and my legs have felt fine.  I'll follow that up tomorrow with a bit of a longer run.  It will be interesting to see how that feels.  Probably the most important point of all of this is the fact that I felt at peace.  My wife suggested that I needn't tie my training to a purpose, but rather should just do it for the pure joy.  Which is what I did today.  It was definitely peaceful.  It's been 4 1/2 months since Kona.  I don't know what's next, and I don't know why.  What I do know is that I want peace.  Why not?

No comments: