Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Distractions

As I work on prioritizing the things that matter the most to me, the things I want to devote my time to, the things that fill me with a sense of purpose, I realize that I must deal with distractions.  Distractions are exactly what they sound like.  They are things that take time away from the things that matter.  They also are opportunities for provoking anxiety.  The elections, the president, homelessness, you name it.  These are important things, and to a political junkie like myself, things that I've always been interested in.  Unfortunately, I've also taken these things quite seriously since I was a kid.  Too seriously, at this point in my life.  I'm not going to change these things, and any energy I spend on them, is energy that could have been spent elsewhere.  Energy that could have been spent on the things that matter the most to me.

It's time for me to recognize the distractions in my life.  It's time for me to realize that these distractions are not helpful to my most important goals.  What I think I've never truly comprehended is the negative impact distractions have when it comes to added stress.  I've always been someone who feels strongly about making a difference.  The more scattered that is, the more things that I try to make a difference in, the less effective I will beat any of them.  That makes total sense, but I haven't effectively adopted the necessary strategies to avoid these distractions.

We are living in a world of instant information.  Social media, news, etc., we can get information immediately. Information comes to us constantly.  It's too much.  I love to think, but being focused is the key.  It's just like running a business, where maintaining focus is a critical element for success.  Focusing my energy and focus on my most important priorities is my greatest challenge.  Letting the distractions float away must be one of my priorities.  It's time to get rid of the distractions.

No comments: