Saturday, December 14, 2019

Work and Life Balance

The natural follow up to yesterdays blog is to talk about how to balance work and life.  For me, it's actually a little simpler.  I don't have to work.  I'm quite fortunate in this regard, although in many ways I do have to work.  Having purpose is one of the most important things in our lives.  Yes, being a grandpa, husband and dad are all purposes.  But what about the remaining hours in the day?  I know myself pretty well, and those remaining hours also need to be purposeful.  Hence, the topic of work and life balance.

One of the things that I've learned, perhaps finally, after three attempts at retirement, is the importance of having some type of schedule.  When you're working, you have a schedule.  When you're retired, you take your day as it comes.  For me, that's not the best thing.  I do better with a schedule.  I've continue to struggle with actually scheduling my days, but I think that it's time to attempt to do that.

The fact of the matter is that being a grandpa, a husband, and a dad are my greatest priorities.  That means that I need to schedule my other activities in a way that allows me some degree of flexibility for my most important priorities.  That's how I'll more effectively approach achieving that balance in work and life.

1 comment:

Dave from Iowa said...

Being in my mid sixties, who enjoys, work, family and setting athletic goal. I enjoy your insight. Keep on sharing you thoughts.