Monday, December 2, 2019

Kona Reprise

I watched NBC's coverage of the Ironman World Championship in Kona today.  I have to admit various emotions. First, I'm reminded how special Kona is, and how much Ironman means to me.  Watching the professional race, as well as the age group athletes compete on the Ironman world's greatest stage, brought back a lot of memories.  First, there's no question but that the swim conditions were more challenging than normal.  Watching the swells at the start of the race on television made me realize how much movement there was in the water, and how I really didn't pay attention to it an just focused on my swim.  While it would have been nice to feel better on this special day, I will always be proud of how much I ignored how I felt, lived in the moment and appreciated every moment of the day.  I was also reminded of the fact that I actually swam in a group for half of the swim, which was truly in the spirit of Kona.  Watching the professionals weaving on the bike course was a reminder of the ferocious winds that we had to deal with.  I ran the first 12 miles of the run in sunlight, before completing the run in the dark, so it was nice watching the professionals race while the sun was still out.

While watching Kona gave me some feelings about doing an Ironman again, I also feel ready to get away from the Ironman grind.  I've enjoyed the 5K and 10K races that I've done in the past few days. I've enjoyed not having to bike and swim.  I'm not doing La Quinta in one week, and I won't be doing Oceanside in April, choosing today to participate in the Ragnar Relay with my favorite team!  I want to have fun.  I imagine that I might have some urges to get back in the Ironman game over time.  It's kind of hard to get away from this addictive sport.  But I can replace those feelings with the endorphins I get from running.

Kona will always have great meaning to me.  It was a lifetime achievement, of which I'll always be proud.  But the Ironman life also takes a significant toll.  Focusing on shorter run distances will be good for me both mentally and physiologically. And, it give me something to focus on this coming year!

No comments: