Monday, December 30, 2019

Loving a Great Story

My daughter read several of her stories today to me while we were driving.  I love the character development and the writing.  I always have.  My daughter has a gift.  A great story is such a great thing.  That's why I've always loved reading.  But reading is only worthwhile if the writing is good, and that's why I love reading or listening to my daughter's stories.

Growing up, I loved to read.  I especially liked real life true stories and biographies.  But I also enjoyed fiction.  My fathers love of Jack London had me reading The Call of the Wild at a pretty early age.  It's still one of my favorites.  The other was my father's favorite book, Martin Eden, which I first read when I was in the 4th grade.  It was pretty advanced for a nine year old, but I've always set that bar high!

I remember coming home from he library, yes the library, regularly with several books.  I'd read them all.  I couldn't read enough.  When I moved onto medical school, my reading suffered, but it came back as soon as I had some time to read.  I enjoyed a good thriller, and particularly liked Ludlum and Cussler's early works.  Now, I'm fortunate, because I have my daughter's writing to enjoy.

While I do most of my reading online, I still prefer reading from an actual book.  For some reason, I've been less interested in fiction in recent years, and prone to be more interested in non-fiction, except when it comes to my daughter's writing.  I love the fiction that she writes! I can always see the characters from the words that she puts on the page.  That's a gift unto itself.  I love a great story.

No comments: