Thursday, December 12, 2019

My New Journey(s)

Someone asked me today what I wanted to be doing with my life.  The question brought out lots of emotions and ideas.  I've been thinking about this back and forth for some time.  I know that I want to have fun.  I know that I want to help older adults.  I know that I want to utilize my brain and think.  I'm a thinker.  I love project development.  I also love to share my passion and inspire others about doing things that make a difference.  How can I put all of these things together?

After completing my journey to Kona, I've recalibrated my exercise goals.  It is my intent to see how fast I can run a 5K next year.  I have begun that journey in the last couple of weeks.  My two staple weekly workouts that relate to this goal right now are sets of 40m flying sprints and 100m uphill sprints.  My fastest pace for the 40m flying sprints is presently around 4:20 pace.  My fastest pace for the 100m uphill sprint is presently around 5:50 pace, which actually translates to about 4:20 pace on flat ground.

My coach tells me that in a few weeks, I can do a 200m sprint in order to set my pacing goals more accurately.  I'm looking forward to doing that.  I love having goals.  I'm excited to get a measure on where I'm starting, so I can aim for some specific goals in the coming year.  I have a pretty good sense of my starting point based on my recent 5K.  Now that I'm doing some speed work, it's interesting to correlate that.  It will also be interesting to see what kind of progress I can make with the shorter distance (40-100m) speed and how that will translate to my 5K speed.

I enjoy seeing what the human body can do.  I especially enjoy seeing what I can do at the age of 60, because that's part of my personal goal of advocating for the health and well being of older adults, of which I'm soon, if not already one.

No comments: