Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Political Courage

It's fascinating today to watch politicians respond to the impending impeachment vote.  The question arises as to who has the courage to actually vote their conviction. There are a lot of people who act as if the answer is obvious, apparently about 90% of the electorate seems fit this view.  Of course, 44% (those who would vote for Trump no matter what), and 46% (those who would vote against Trump no matter what), know what to do.  What about the remaining 10%?  Perhaps this vote will truly be a harbinger of the next election.

A New Jersey congressman has decided to switch parties, apparently over the impeachment process.  I respect his right to vote against impeachment.  I respect his right to switch parties, although I find the timing both curious and concerning.  Clearly, many of his key staff disagree with his decision, because they're quitting.  One can only wonder if this congressman has done the political calculus, and decided that changing parties is the best way to get reelected.  That's wrong.  At the very least, he could have taken the approach of Congressman Amash and become an independent.  I could understand that.  I'm not sure I have a political party that truly represents me today.

There are tens, if not dozens of democratic congressmen and women who are in Republican leaning districts who appear to be making the decision to vote for impeachment.  Is this toeing the party line? Or, is this the definition of political courage.  I lean towards the latter.  I appreciate the fact that there may be a few Democrats that vote against impeachment.  I don't think that lends credence to the fact that the Republicans are right and the Democrats are wrong.  I think it shows that the Democrats have truly not been strong-arming its members to vote for impeachment.  On the other hand, not a single Republican appears to even be considering voting for impeachment.  They have fallen in line, lock step, like a bunch of sheep, following a leader who has done nothing to earn my respect.  I can't and won't respect someone who disparages women, children, disabled people, and anyone who doesn't agree with him on a daily basis.

This whole impeachment process has fascinated me.  I haven't been pleased by some of the approaches taken by the Democrats.  At the same time, the Republicans have only obfuscated the entire time, which in my experience is what lawyers do when they don't have a case.  Impeachment is a political remedy.  Those who try to make it otherwise are disingenuous.  I understand that the people who voted for Trump actually want him to behave the way he's behaved.  I personally think that his behavior is bad for our country and that he consistently borders on violating the constitution.

Here's my bottom line.  I believe that the defection of a few Democrats against impeachment, and the votes for impeachment by many in swing districts demonstrates political courage.  Whereas, the Republicans all voting against impeachment demonstrates a party that is so stuck in partisanship that it supports a president who has stated that he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and get away with it.  This isn't a political party, it's a gang of thugs.


No comments: