Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Being Oneself When Having Power

It struck me today that while I was reflecting yesterday on the challenge of speaking truth to power and money, that I've been on the other side of the equation. I've been the owner of a company.  I've been the President of a company.  I've been the CEO of a company.  How did people around me react?  How was I perceived?  What have I learned over the years?

The first thing that I thought of was a nickname.  There was a time, over two decades ago, when I was President of a geriatric physician practice management company, when one of my employees shared with me that I had been known as "The Hurricane."  Now, the reason was pretty clear.  I would literally blow in and out of the office, that's how busy I was.  I didn't really take the time to look in the mirror and see what it looked like.  I also came to discover that I was very intimidating to my employees.  So, the very attributes that I discussed in my blog yesterday were probably impacting the people who worked for me.  Kind of blows ones mind, doesn't it?

On the other hand, I heard the feedback, and over the years, factored it into my leadership and management style.  I've learned to be more cognizant of my own persona.  I used to joke that I didn't see what others saw when I looked in the mirror, but upon further reflection (pun intended), I realized that I wasn't looking hard enough.  If I was focused or busy, I might come across in a more intimidating manner, especially when I factored in my position of authority.  That's part of the key to this.  Recognizing that the position of power is part of the power itself, whether I realized or saw it myself didn't really matter.

I ultimately realized the importance of actually being myself when I was in a position of power.  There's obviously a balance that must be achieved, but I know who I am.  I also know the importance of effective teamwork.  Achieving that teamwork requires effective communication between a leader and their people.  I've always encouraged those working for me to tell me what I need to know, not what I want to hear.  It comes with the territory.  Otherwise, you'll only be a team of one.


No comments: