Saturday, October 12, 2019

What I'll be Thinking While Racing in Kona Today

Wow!  I can't believe that this day has finally come.  I'm posting this before I head out of my hotel room to transition, as I'll be in little shape to write anything at the end of the day.  But I thought it would be a good time to reflect on this week and what this means to me.  Also, to give anyone reading this blog an idea about what will be going through my head all day.  The theme for this years race is "Ohana," which is Hawaiian for family.  And that's really what's never going to be far from my thoughts all day.  I am blessed to have my best friend and soulmate as my wife, two unbelievable daughters, a son-in-law who is a son to me, and the cutest little guy that means the world to me.  They've all put up with me this year as I've prepared for this day. They also know that I'd do anything for them.



This week's been a struggle.  I arrived in Kona feeling good, did a pretty hard 10K last Saturday, and a strong swim on Sunday, only to fine myself suddenly feeling lousy.  I was worried that I was coming down with a cold, but it just turns out that my allergies have acted up this week.  I've had allergies my whole life.  When I was a kid, I used to get allergy shots.  My mom had to carry an adrenaline syringe on vacation in case I had a bad asthma attack.  When my allergies act up, my sinuses can get very unhappy.  I used to be prone to sinus infections because of this and would often take antibiotics.  Over the last several years, I realized that antibiotics don't actually help (which is supported by the medical literature), and now I just "wait out" the infection until it resolves.  Sometimes, I do a hard workout to get everything flowing and clear my sinuses out.  Something that I've been reminding myself when it comes to today!

I've also realized that the combination of allergies and an Ironman training taper certainly hasn't done me any favors.  Tapering is always a tricky business.  It's not uncommon to feel lousy during a taper.  That makes it hard to tell what's impacting me the most.  Data has actually come in handy, which is good because I'm neurotic about data.  I've been able to use my resting heart rate and HRV (Heart rate variability) to assess my status.  It was pretty bad on Monday, but has improved steadily all week.

Despite feeling under the weather, I have definitely found myself appreciating being here in Kona.  If you've read my other blogs, you also know that my body has a funny way of sending me messages prior to a big race.  This week's message may have been to just slow down and completely rest, and not to get too caught up in the excitement. That's what I've done.

So, today's the day.  I've raced Ironman's feeling great, and I've raced them feeling lousy.  It doesn't really matter. Once I get out there, the excitement of the day will take over and I will do what I do best, stay in the moment and relish the experience.  I've already written my race report, as I like to do. I plan to race the swim without going too hard, but will be thrilled with a swim time of 1:15 or better. I'm looking for transitions under 8 minutes.  I have no idea what my bike time will be. It's totally dependent on weather conditions.  The weather report is calling for some pretty strong winds today.  That will make it a longer day, but I'm going to savor every moment!  I'll be more than satisfied with anything faster than 6:30 (If it's really windy it might take longer, but that's also ok).  Then comes the run.  Hopefully, if my nutrition and hydration are good, I'm trying for my best Ironman marathon ever.  It's a lot to ask in Kona, but I have to try.  Nevertheless, based on my history, a run time under 5 hours will be satisfactory.  Putting this all together leaves me right around 13 hours.  I start at 7:30 am, so I hope to finish by 8:30 pm.  Everything after 6:30 pm will be in the dark, but it will also be cooler!

Keep in mind, I've always obsessed with my times, and I always set goals.  However, I'm also happy with whatever happens, so long as I've given it my best effort.  Tomorrow will not only be no exception, but it will be the rule!  I will be in the moment all day.  I will be relishing the fact that I'm participating in the super bowl of triathlon!  Every moment will be a gift.  I will appreciate every gust of wind, every degree of heat and every percent of humidity.  This is what we do.  You can follow me at https://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx?race=worldchampionship&y=2019#/tracker My bib number is 123.








No comments: