Friday, October 11, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 248: Giving Kona Everything I've Got! IM #14, IM Boulder 2019

When this year began, I already had my Legacy spot for Kona. I didn't need to do another full Ironman.   I just needed a 70.3, which was to be the Santa Rosa 70.3.  For the same reason that I've already signed up for Ironman St. George 2020, I still wanted to give IM Boulder a shot.  Three years ago, my time in Boulder would have won the 60-64 AG.  Now that I'm 60, I wanted to see how I'd stack up with the competition!  My preparation for Kona had put me in the best Ironman shape of my entire life.  In some ways I've been training this hard out of respect for Kona.  In another way, it's out of respect for how I really want to continue to approach Ironman racing.  I've always been a competitive person, but generally see that competitive nature to primarily be with myself.  However, when given the opportunity, I do enjoy competing with others.  Over the years of doing triathlons, I've won my age group a few times in local races.  I treasure those moments. Generally, I regularly finish in the top 20% of my age group. How would I do in Boulder? I wanted to know what I could do before heading to Kona.  And, like when I started in this crazy sport, despite having qualified through the Legacy Program, I still wanted to try to qualify the old fashioned way!



There is an inner satisfaction that comes from such a high level of competition.  I don't have to win.  If I give it everything I've got, I'm satisfied. In fact, one of the most satisfying races I've ever had was one where I didn't have my best result, but I'd spent the prior week working 20 hour days (filming a t.v. pilot with my daughters) and not training at all (http://wassdoc.blogspot.com/2009/08/little-blossom-ironman-or-how-not-to.html).  Talk about Ohana (this years theme, which means family). Once again, it's about balance and symmetry.  For me, that balance requires knowing that I've made the effort.  The results will come on their own, and aren't important in and of themselves.

So, why do I do this crazy sport?  Because I'm passionate about exercise, a healthy life style and demonstrating that age is just a number.  I've also always felt that I find this same spirit in other triathletes.  Even the professional triathletes tend to be laid back, despite their competitive nature on race day.  It was great meeting Dave Scott, Mark Allen, Paula Newby-Fraser and Tim DeBoom on Wednesday night to remind me of this.  I often say that Ironman is a metaphor for life.  It's also a proxy for life.  I've embraced being an Ironman.  That will culminate tomorrow as I race in the "Super Bowl" of triathlon.

I raced Ironman Boulder this year with all of this in mind. My swim was ok, I hadn't reached the swim fitness I've got now. My bike was great, 5th in my age group. I never got fully untracked on my run, but still had the 6th fastest run in my age group. The overall result, 7th in my age group.  The six men ahead of me were all prior Kona qualifiers or USAT All-Americans.  I haven't reached the very top echelon, but I seem to be in the next one. That has given me confidence coming into Kona, especially knowing that my training since Boulder has been better than ever.


If you want to read my race report for Boulder, it comes in two parts:
http://wassdoc.blogspot.com/2019/06/journey-to-kona-day-125-im-boulder-race.html (race report prior to run); http://wassdoc.blogspot.com/2019/06/journey-to-kona-day-126-ironman-boulder.html (run report)

No comments: