Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Taking a Break

There are some days where I really don't feel like doing much of anything.  Today ended up being one of those "lazy" days.  I did start writing the preface to the textbook that I'm editing.  I actually realized that I needed to do that during my run this morning.  Yes, I ran.  Not very far, or for very long.  In fact, I ran and walked.  My blisters have healed, my legs feel fine, but my mind and body are still tired.  So, it was a good day to take a break.

It's funny how there are some days where I just don't do much of anything.  Today was one of them.  It's healthy, and it's ok.  I briefly asked myself how I'd feel if every day was like this. I didn't have to wait long for the answer, because I know it.  I'd be unhappy.  I started down this path once before, after I retired.  Unfortunately, my focus wasn't clear and I ended up getting busy with things that really weren't in fitting with who I am or what I want to do. I'm not going to let that happen again.

Whether I'm training for a triathlon, or working on a book, it's good to take a break.  In fact, when I was in college, I'd study like crazy for a defined period of time, and then I'd take a break.  It's always been my modus operandi.  It's actually true that the human brain is the largest utilizer of calories in the body. At least I think it's true, as I must have read that somewhere.  It certainly feels like it sometimes.  My brain hasn't been feeling like doing much as I've been fighting these allergies, but it feels like it's starting to turn around.  In the meantime, I'll just take a break when I need to.

No comments: