Wednesday, October 23, 2019

How to Message

I've made a dedicated attempt this year to message some of the things I'm most passionate about.  I hope that my writing has improved, and it's been a continuous learning process.  I have some things that are very important to me, and as I move forward, I will probably strive to limit my messaging to one topic.  There are a lot of reasons, but the most important is time and focus.  I tend to add other things to do around my messaging, and that really can't be in the coming year.

My number one message for many years has been promoting the field of Geriatrics and the need for reforming graduate medical education (GME).  If I'm the only one messaging this, it's not ever going to get anywhere.  One of my goals needs to be exciting a new generation of Geriatricians to message this topic.  I need to give that some thought.

My recent messaging has focused on what I learned as the CEO overseeing a nearly billion dollar nursing home operation.  My background and experience makes me singularly unique in my understanding of this complex field.  While I may be alone in what I'm trying to message, at least it makes sense, as I was truly alone in my position.  I've been working on an article that I've been refining that tries to message what I learned from this experience.  I've made a number of outreach attempts to share my knowledge with others who are trying to make a difference.  I think that I've got to a point that is manageable, and can continue to carry on this message.

Finally, messaging the textbook will certainly be consistent with my goals and my efforts.  It also brings me back to my first messaging love, promoting the field of Geriatrics.  At least I can do it from a position of strength, insofar as promoting the person-centered approach to Geriatrics that I believe so much in.  The key to effective messaging is also maintaining a focus.  That seems to be a common thread in most things that I've been writing about, whether it be life, training, or work.

No comments: