Thursday, June 27, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 143: Political Musings

I've allowed my inner political junkie some time the last two days by watching the Democratic Presidential Debates.  Last night I really enjoyed watching.  I thought that the candidates were intelligent, focused and respectful of one another.  Tonight was a different story.  There was more fighting and attempts to gain the "high ground."  I don't think it worked, on any level.  The folks who tried to attack Biden didn't come across all that great.  Biden's response to all the attacks was to basically claim to have been the savior of everything the democratic party has ever stood for.  I was not impressed.  At the end of two nights of debates, I find myself liking most of the democratic female candidates.  Some of the males candidates were fine, but maybe it's time that we actually have an all female ticket.

On a personal note, I like Bernie Sanders.  He'd be fun to have a beer with.  While I like his style and his approach, I'm still skeptical that we really want a true revolutionary in the White House.  In a weird way, that's what we have now, just not the type of revolution I'm in favor of.  On the other hand, having someone who thinks that they can make a deal with anyone may not be what our country needs right now.  Again, I fall back to the idea of having a woman as President.  There's something to be said about getting testosterone out of the White House.

I know people who don't think that the country's ready for a female president.  I think that the country wasn't ready for another Clinton.  I think a female Presidential candidate who comes across as honest and caring, and isn't out for themselves, but to be the Mother of our country, might just be what we need.  Those are my political musings for now.  I'm sure that in the coming months there will be more.

One other aside, I saw a lot of potential cabinet members in the debates.  There's really no need for these folks to fight or try to get the upper hand on one another.  They should let the American people decide who they want to represent them.  They can all have a seat at the leadership table.  Don't tell me why I should pick you.  Tell me who you are and what you'll do.  Let me, the American people, decide what we want in our President.

No comments: