Friday, June 7, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 123: Bit of Stormy Weather Brewing There

I'm famous in my family for using movie quotes.  They often only make sense to me!  This one is from Mary Poppins.  I thought of it as my preparations for Ironman Boulder change by the hour.  Originally, it just looked like it would be a cool day, with highs and lows in the mid 50's.  That's changed, and now it looks like I might be riding my bike in 45-50 degree temperatures for most of the bike.  That could be cold.  There's a few reasons that matters, the most important being energy expenditures and necessary caloric intake.  Next is just comfort, because it's no fun to feel cold for a prolonged period of time. The third is figuring out what to where that won't compromise aerodynamics too much.  And so, my race planning must take another turn as I plan for any or all weather eventualities.

The single most important take home lesson is that losing 10-15 minutes on the bike in order to have adequate nutrition and to minimize discomfort and excessive energy output, isn't a big deal if that allows me to have my best marathon.  In fact, especially in my new age group, the run is really all that matters.  Last year the temperatures were over 100 degrees and if you look at the run times, you'll get what I'm talking about it.  It's not a matter of losing minutes, it's a matter of losing an hour or more.  So, while I've been excited to have my best bike split in awhile, it's more important to be careful and smart.  As always, sounds a lot like life!

I have two major equipment/clothing additions.  Arm warmers an my GABA cycling jersey.  The combination will make me literally impervious to cold and even rain.  I was going to wear socks anyway, and put toe covers on my cycling shoes.  My final decision is what gloves to wear.  I have lightweight and aerodynamic gloves that will provide some protection, but leaves the tips of my fingers exposed.  That might be too cold.  I do have a few pair of cold weather cycling gloves that I can decide upon.  Decisions, decisions, decisions.  That's ironman, and that's life.  I guess I'll have to channel my inner Mary Poppins!

No comments: