Sunday, June 16, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 130: Heading Home

I've been away from home for most of the past few weeks.  It actually feels good to be heading home.  I'm also reminded how tiring driving can be.  It will be nice to get home, although our house is still not quite a home.  We won't have a kitchen for another few weeks at least, and we still have boxes to unpack.  All of that makes for not being completely settled.  Still, it will be nice to get home, sleep in my own bed, and see my grandson.

I'm pretty happy with my result at Boulder.  I'd like to have gotten my fifth place finish, but seventh isn't bad at all.  I've run through in my head what it would have taken to move up one or two notches, and the bottom line is that I would have had to go a minute per mile faster over the last 14 miles.  How I would have managed that, I don't know.  I know for sure that whenever I tried to pick up my effort in the last few miles, I really didn't feel good.  In fact, I started to feel lightheaded.  Passing out would not have helped me with my placement.

 Boulder is always a tough race for me.  The altitude certainly has an impact.  I'm quite happy with how my legs felt.  In fact, that's probably the most important take home from Boulder.  My legs felt fine throughout the entire run.  Five days afterwards, there's minimal soreness left.  On the other hand, I'm definitely still fatigued, but it's getting better by the day.  It will be nice to get home and actually get some real rest as well.

No comments: