Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 135: 60 Years On

I'm don't think that Elton John had me in mind when he sang Sixty Years On.  Just 10 days removed from a solid Ironman performance, I have to admit that I'm still fighting some fatigue.  I swam this morning, hoping to build on yesterday's lesson and great swim times, only to be a little disappointed by some slower, albeit strenuous, efforts.  Doing 300 yards five times, with a minute of rest in between, definitely taxed my system.  I was tired today, in fact, so much so that I ended up taking an early nap and then dozing while watching tv this afternoon.  That's ok.  I'm allowed some fatigue.  It's a reminder that I need to demonstrate some caution as I recover.  Considering that I'm now officially sixty years old, I can't be too unhappy.  Even my slower swim times today are pretty much in line with where I was ten years ago.

I'm still struggling a bit with who I am and what I want to be focused on.  There are days that I truly would just like to focus on my ironman training.  Spending excess energy trying to change the world doesn't always feel like it's rewarding.  There is definitely a finite feeling of satisfaction that is gained from my race results.  That's one of the reasons I've already begun looking forward to the Santa Rosa 70.3.  The only real goal in Kona is to finish in under 13 hours.  Anything else would be gravy.  Competing with the best in the world makes it difficult to aspire to much more than that.  I remember when I competed in the U.S.A.Triathlon Nationals.  One of my best 10K times ever, on a tough course, and I was near the bottom of the age group.

It's tough enough to be recovering from an Ironman.  I never really pay attention to my birthdays, but it's hard not to pay attention to sixty.  In the context of the last seven months of my life, it's easy to ask questions.  Again, my typical ironman sequelae includes a variety of negative feelings.  They will soon be over, and I will fully be on my path to the next race, and ultimately too Kona.  I've got a lot ahead of me.  Sixty Years On.

No comments: