Saturday, June 1, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 117: Practice Make Perfect!

I was 2 1/2 hours into my bike ride today when...clunk, clunk, clunk.  Flat rear tire.  I stopped, found a staple (of all things) in my rear tire.  Now, I really don't like changing tires.  I've ridden tubular tires for many years, and when they flat, I just get a ride home.  However, I got clincher tires on my new bike, knowing that in the case of a flat tire during an ironman, especially Kona, I'd be able to fix it and get on with my bike ride.  So, I was tested today.  As I thought about fixing the flat on my new bike, I realized that I'd forgotten to put an allen wrench in my storage compartment (turns out I actually did have one there). I was trying to call an Uber, but couldn't find an SUV, when two people rode by and asked if I needed help.  I asked if they had an allen wrench, and they did.  One of them had disk brakes as well on their bike.  I also discovered that I only had one tire lever, which really makes it difficult to open the tire up in order to change the tube.  Fortunately, again, the two people who stopped were totally helpful.

We got the tire fixed and I was on my way.  Most important, I was reminded that I'm fully capable of fixing a flat tire.  Practice makes perfect.  It's definitely something that I need to practice.  I recently wrote about being a creature of habit, and changing a flat tire is not something that I've ever practiced regularly so that it literally feels habitual.  I actually was very uncomfortable with fixing my flat today, but will definitely feel more comfortable if it happens again.  By the time I get to Kona, however, I want changing a flat tire to feel natural.  In fact, just like transitions, it' something I will practice and work on.  I also decided to carry two tubes in case I were to get two flats.  That's just being prepared.

Oh yes, my bike ride went great!  Essentially, this was the same ride a last Saturday, on the Ironman Boulder course.  I rode comfortably and it felt great.  My pace was pretty much the same as last week, and maybe a little faster, although the effort felt easier.  That bodes well.  Eight days to go!

No comments: