Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 120: Omens?

A few days ago I spoke of paying close attention to spots in my body that might give me trouble.  Last night, while I was sleeping, my favorite spot, my right lower back/hip area, tightened up.  I couldn't really do anything to prevent it from happening while I was sleeping.  When I woke up with it, I gently massaged the area and tried to find a good position to sleep in that didn't bother it.  When I woke up this morning, it was improving, and I put some Golden Tiger on it and went for my last real run prior to race day (six miles).  My right hamstring also had a twinge, but I figured that went along with the hip and back.  My run went fine.  In fact, I had no soreness anywhere during my run.  Afterwards, my back had improved, though I still felt a little tightness.  And then I remembered.

Ironman Chattanooga, 2014.  One week earlier, with my toes in the water, they cancelled Ironman Lake Tahoe.  I drove home that day, not completely disappointed, because somehow I knew that I still needed some more rest prior to racing.  I signed up for Chattanooga, booked my flight and a few days later, was there, ready to race.  Three days before the race I went out for a short bike ride on the course.  As I was putting my bike shoe on, Wham! My right low back/hip area went into a spasm.  I spent the next three days doing everything I could to work it out.  Electrical stimulation. Self-massage, foam roller, ointments.  You name it.  On the morning of race day, most of the spasm was gone, but I could still feel a slight ache in the area.  I went on to have my best swim and bike ever (to this day), and my second best run ever (on a hilly course).  I was careful all day not to push too hard to set off the area, but it was fine.

So here I am.  Five days before Ironman Boulder.  I feel like I'm in the best Ironman shape of my life.  My taper seems to be right on target.  And the right low back/hip area comes out to play!  I've never figured out the cause of this.  It happens intermittently during my training.  It always goes away after awhile.  I could let it bother me, but that doesn't do any good.  Besides, it might be a good omen.  It's also most likely that my body is saying, "you're ready!"

No comments: