Monday, May 21, 2012

Getting Better, In Spite of Myself!

So, yesterday, I should have realized that I was getting back to normal.  Not paying attention to where I was going, I slammed my right thigh into a metal railing.  It's still a little sore today, but no serious damage.  I'm typically a klutz and I do things like this, although usually close to a race.  My left hamstring was tight last night, though that might have been due to the fact that I didn't realize that my seat post had dropped about a 1/2 an inch on my bike.  Adding to that was 6 hours in the car today, driving to Northern California where I'll do the hardest workout that I know, stand for 2 hours giving a lecture tonight.  I got to the hotel in time, however, to do an easy shakeout run.  Wow!  From the very first step I realized that I was doing much better.  My legs felt light and the run felt easy.  In fact, there was never a thought of "jogging", it was more of nice easy strides.  This was never hard from a breathing perspective and I never felt like stopping.  I ran for about half and hour (had to get back to the hotel to get ready), and it all felt good.
I continue to find the recovery from this ironman to be interesting.  I've gotten good at listening to my body over the years, and my body has been talking to me.  Up until now, it's been warning me to be careful.  Today, however, I think that it may be getting ready to let me go just a little harder.  That's exciting.  Fortunately, tomorrow's lecture isn't until noon, so I will have time in the morning to run completely unfettered.  Then, it's another 6 hours in the car:(.  Wednesday, the mover's come, but I know I'll sneak a little time into the swimming pool!

No comments: