Sunday, May 27, 2012

Exhaustion, not so much!

Yesterday was a pretty tough day.  I felt completely exhausted, did jump in the pool twice for some exercise and relaxation.  Did some unpacking.  Tried to nap, a few times.  Honestly, I felt like an old man.  I was tired, I was aching.  I began to wonder if I'd ever do another triathlon, much less an ironman.  I went to bed at 8pm, woke up before 6am and was out the door driving to my CV Tri Club Sunday bike ride by 7:30am.  The group is great, lots of really nice people, pretty laid back.  I felt great!  We rode out to Point Magu, then back along Pacific Coast Highway with a 7 person pace line.  I was comfortable with about 1 foot between me and the person in front of me, I know, I can still improve, but not too bad.  I felt pretty darn strong today.  The final part of the ride was a 9 mile climb at about 4% grade, I essentially did it as a tempo workout.  Didn't quite keep up with the two people who went ahead, but pretty much held my own today.  Great day, riding in a group, climbing, riding in a paceline.  I am back!  All in all, this was about 3 hours and 15 minutes in the saddle today (I know, I'm not supposed to look at time, but I couldn't help looking at my clock when I got in my car).  I was thinking of a number of things to blog about as I rode, but decided to focus in on how exhausted I felt yesterday, and how good I felt today.  It's a reminder that I need to train!  It gets my adrenaline going and keeps me feeling good.  The best part was getting home and telling my wife, "let's drive to Malibu for lunch!"  Spent the afternoon with my wife, came back home and took my daughter and son-in-law out for frozen yogurt.  Still with energy...this is a good sign.  Yes, endorphins are good for you!  It was also a reminder how other stresses can tire you out, like unpacking all week, and driving a ton.

Well, enough for today, still have some daylight left, might jump in the pool for a short swim!

No comments: