Thursday, July 25, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 171: Adjusting

I drove seven hours today and arrived in Santa Rosa, checked in heard the athlete's briefing.  The most important news was that the water temperature is already 76.9 degrees, which means no wetsuit.  In many ways, I'm very happy.  I'm very comfortable and confident with my swim.  While I've been working on swimming better with my wetsuit, I've also been working on swimming better without a wetsuit.  It's also going to be a hot day, and starting out by swimming in 77 degree water will not heat me up much.  In fact, it should facilitate my goal to swim hard.

Doing ironman's is all about adjusting.  Fortunately, there's not really much adjustment to do, as I was hoping for a non-wetsuit swim.  One less thing to worry about, one less thing to have to deal with in terms of putting on and taking off the wetsuit.  Mentally, I'll get myself ready over the next 36 hours for my swim.  I was originally planning to swim in Lake Sonoma tomorrow after dropping my bike off.  That plan will continue now, but without wearing a wetsuit.

The other thing that I did today was to write my race report.  This has become something of a tradition for me.  I'll edit it tonight and read and reread it tomorrow.  I'm excited to get out on the course on Saturday and give this race everything I've got!  I also look forward to adjusting on Saturday, as is typical in ironman and half ironman racing.

No comments: