Sunday, July 14, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 160: Wardrobe Musings

Today was a good day.  70 degrees and humid, I sweated a ton during my 13.1 mile hilly run.  I focused on keeping a solid effort, but not going to hard, hence my breathing right at 4 steps per breath for most of the way (though I did let my effort come up a bit over the last two miles).  The humidity and sweating made me think of Kona and the fact that I normally wear my trisuit for the entire race.  Might I consider changing into shorts and a running shirt in T2?  Why not?  It will take me about a minute more to do so and I might be more comfortable during the run.  Perhaps.  I also would have a choice from amongst my many Ironman shirts to wear.  I'd lean towards 2012 St. George, although it's gray.  I might also wear the 2010 St. George shirt.  It was my first ironman.  Anyway, these thoughts occupied my meditative time on the run today.  I didn't know how today was going to go.  I was pretty tired on Friday and I did swim hard yesterday.  But I was ready.  My legs actually felt pretty good and I laid down a very solid 13.1 mile run.  In fact, my fastest time along the hilly loop that I'm now running, despite the effort being comfortable.  Before I knew it, I was finished with my run.

After my run, I had a massage.  I really need to do that more often.  My legs were a little sore and tight after the run, but felt completely fine after the massage.  I've noticed that as I've had some massages done after long workouts.  It's probably a good idea.  I had to drive 2 1/2 hours tonight, I'm giving a couple of lectures tomorrow and driving home afterwards, so I'm not sure if I'll get any training in tomorrow (though I did pack my running clothes, just in case).  Under two weeks to the Santa Rosa 70.3, I've begun visualizing the race.  I'm also occasionally allowing myself to start visualizing Kona.  Hence, starting to think about what I'll wear.  I'll see how my trisuit holds up at Santa Rosa before I make a final decision.

No comments: