Saturday, July 20, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 166: The Impact of Intensity

It's been an interesting week.  My rib is still sore, but it hasn't kept me from doing my workouts all week.  I've alternated aches and pains in my low back, shoulders, and scapula throughout the week.  On reflection, intensity will strain the tendons and muscles.  When I started my run yesterday, running downhill from my house, my rib ached.  It didn't keep me from running, and it certainly didn't keep me from running a mile uphill faster than I have in many years.  The discomfort in my rib was replaced by the suffering of pushing myself to my limit running uphill.  Of course, I'd feel the rib aching throughout the rest of the day.  I also found my scapula spasming later in the day, although that was better when I woke up this morning.  My low back was a little sore yesterday, and I could feel it while in the aero position on my bike ride today.  I was a little sluggish getting started, but took my time warming up.  Ultimately, I intermittently pushed hard during my second loop, riding the loop almost a minute faster than ever before.  I actually felt pretty good after doing this, and after a short rest break, went out and did another fifteen minutes that included a hard 6 minute, 30 second and 1 minute effort, with some of the best power numbers I've had in years.

I recovered a lot with a nap, which I've been missing out on this past week.  Those naps are definitely both important and necessary.  Tomorrow, I'm supposed to run 8-9 miles, but I've been wondering if that's the best thing for me to do with just 7 days left to the Santa Rosa 70.3.  I've done a couple of intense runs, and a couple of intense bikes this week, in addition to some solid swim efforts that were associated with some shoulder soreness.  My muscles and tendons are ready for some recovery.  I'm sure that my overall physiological self could also use some more recovery.  I've been walking that line ever since Boulder, and I'll be pushing the limits again in seven days.  Fortunately, this is really the end of intensity for the next few months.  My ramp up to Kona will be focused on putting in volume.  It's a different type of stress, which is good.

I emailed my coach today, looking for advice on what to do tomorrow.  Do I run? Do I rest?  I usually intuitively know the answer to such a question, but I may not be certain of what to do until I wake up in the morning and see how I feel.  If I feel good, I may just go out and start running, and let my body gauge how I'm doing.  On the other hand, I may try to figure out what's the right approach, based on the facts before me and logic of what constitutes effective training. Intensity requires recovery.  Recovery matters.

No comments: