Thursday, July 11, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 157: Guilty Pleasures

I was going to ride my bike this morning, but I woke up early and started watching the 6th Stage of the Tour de France.  I decided to enjoy watching the Tour.  What a race today!  My wife jokes about how it makes no sense to watch cycling on television, but I appreciate the effort that these amazing athletes put in, and to some degree, vicariously enjoy what they do.  How they maintain the wattage they do is remarkable.  I guess that it's all relative.  I enjoyed todays race immensely.  I'll ride tomorrow!

Life is about balance, and that's not something that I've ever been good at.  I'm working on taking care of myself, and to some degree, that's what today was about.  On a side note, watching the Tour does have psychological benefits.  I will put myself in the position of these athletes the next time that I race.  I believe in visualization, and watching elite athletes compete at the highest levels is something that I can use in my own visualization.

I also decided that an extra day of rest to my rib wouldn't hurt today, and I had over three hours of driving to do, after which I ended up swimming for 20 minutes, thus testing out the rib.  It passed.  Still a little sore, but I was able to swim.  Guilty pleasures go hand and hand with rest and recovery.

No comments: