Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 162: Permission

I wanted to run hard today.  First, I got permission from my coach.  With 12 days to go before the Santa Rosa 70.3, reducing my volume of training, while having some intensity, is not only fine, but probably the best thing for me to do if I want to maximize my opportunity to go as fast as I can on race day.  Since I have no soreness in my legs from my run on Sunday, running hard today was ok.  I warmed up with an hour of walking and a one mile easy run, then I took to my one mile, ave 3% grade, uphill climb.  I took off running fast, and breathing hard, though more attuned to a "Tempo" effort, one that I could theoretically hold for an hour.  As I pushed up the hill, I increased my effort towards the end, so that during the last two minutes of climbing I was alternating between running super hard to near maximal effort.  My time up the one mile climb was 8:35, which I believe is my fastest time up this hill.  When I got to the top, I needed to walk for one minute, then ran downhill moderately fast.  That's my run for today!

I get to do some similar workouts on the bike this week.  The part of me that loves intensity will be really happy!  The other good part of this is mentally preparing to feel like this (suffering) at the end of the Santa Rosa 70.3.  It's also great to be practicing my uphill running, as when I come out of the swim in Santa Rosa, there is a short uphill to the transition area.  I've always walking this during my Ironman's, but this year, I plan to run up the hill.  There will be an opportunity to recover while I'm putting my shoes and helmet on, and then again on the first downhill section of the bike course.

Permission is important for this kind of training.  As usual, I will typically tend towards overdoing my training.  Before I do anything extra long or hard, it's usually good to get permission from my coach.  Twelve days to Santa Rosa, time to sharpen the knife.  I'm looking forward to this!

No comments: