Friday, October 10, 2008

Giving back

I spent almost two hours today speaking to a group of high school students. While I was there to talk to them about health care and being a doctor, I found myself (as I often do) talking more about what it takes to be successful in life. One of my favorite statements when I speak to students is that if you can focus your time and energy on anything you do for a finite period of time, you can be successful in life. I believe this with all my heart. When I see my youngest daughter spend hours editing video on her computer, or hours practicing her latest song, I know that she will be successful in whatever she ends up doing.

One of the students asked me at the end what I would want to be if I wasn't a doctor. At this point in my life, I told her, I wish I could be a professional triathlete! Obviously, I'm too old and too slow to be competitive, but the idea is there. I would happily take the opportunity to devote my full time to training. Why? I think for a few reasons. There is no doubt that I have a competitive streak, but I think I am more fascinated by the possibility of what can be done if one sets there mind to something.

I'll use thought when I write tomorrows blog, where I'll set my goal for Halfmax, which is just 8 days away. I'll preface that blog with a little history. My first Half Ironman was California in 2004 (6:08). I followed that twice in California, 2005 (5:50), 2007 (5:13). I also did the 5430 Long course in 2005 (5:29), 2006 (5:18) and 2007 (5:07). I wasn't planning on doing a half this year as I felt last year that it was doubtful that I could be competitive in the 45-49 age group. I obviously have changed my mind and my first and foremost goal is top 10 in my age group at Halfmax. That gets me qualified for Long Course Worlds in Austrailia in October 2009.

Standing and speaking for 2 hours is actually far more difficult than running for two hours! My back is always a constant reminder of that fact.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Whoever thought that my ashmatic son would one day run, swim, and bike competitively in triathelons. Never in a million years would I have predicted this. What really amazes me when I go to watch my son race, are the thousands of others who are doing the same. Many of them have no chance to be in the top anything. Just the idea that most will finish will be one of their greatest accomplishments in life. Next Friday I will be going once again to watch history being made." DAD