Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Journey Back to Kona Day 134: Cutting it Close

Fourteen weeks to Ironman St. George. I haven't been out on my bike for more than two hours since October.  I haven't swam since October. That's cutting it close.  However, my very first ironman was preceded by a bike accident which laid me up for nearly two months and set me back considerably with my training at the time.  Ironically, it was the first Ironman St. George in 2010.  My bike accident was at the end of October in Australia.  I didn't start running until January, prior to which, I was cycling indoors and swimming with one arm. I guess that was cutting it close.

There are two competing factors right now. The first is prioritizing my purposeful efforts.  There's still a pandemic going on and I've found great purpose in fighting to protect vulnerable older adults. There's still a pandemic going on and I keep juggling the important purpose of being there for my family. There's still a pandemic going on and I definitely benefit from the purpose of training, which has the potential of keeping me balanced and healthy. Running has definitely been my savior over the past year and a half, and particularly over the past few months.  But I am coming dangerously close to the 12 week mark that experience has shown to be critical.  The last 12 weeks prior to an ironman are essential.  It helps to go into those 12 weeks prepared. And so, I find myself cutting it close.

I did get caught up considerably yesterday with my other purposeful efforts.  That means I need to run today. I will continue to put running front and center.  It's the core to ironman preparation and training. But the bike must follow.  The bike takes time, and time has been something that I should have plenty of, but has turned out to be at a premium.  At the end of the day, it's only a race

No comments: