Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 224: It's Taper Time!

I spoke to my coach today, and I have a plan.  Every three days, starting tomorrow, I'll do a 1 1/2 to 2 hour bike ride, followed by a one hour run.  The intervening two days will essentially be rest and recovery days, which means they'll be good days to swim.  For tomorrow, for sure, my effort will be comfortable.  I want to make sure that my fatigue is being washed away before I allow myself to put in even a minute or two of intensity.  Once I'm feeling good, I can allow a little of that for neuromuscular stimulation purposes.  This will be a fairly simple, and repeatable, approach to my taper.  I can adjust the recovery days if I feel that I need more recovery time.  If I feel really good, I'll enjoy feeling good, and still make sure that I get my two recovery days.

What's really cool is this strategy means that I'll have these workouts tomorrow, Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, Monday and Thursday before getting on a plane to Kona two weeks from Friday.  Six more workouts before leaving for Kona makes this all the more real!  I take my bike to be transported next Tuesday, and I'll use my old tri-bike in the interim.  I'm tired today, but less than I was yesterday.  I'm looking forward to feeling the fatigue wash away and the energy begin to grow.

I've reviewed all fourteen of my previous ironman races and focused on Ironman Chattanooga in 2014.  To date, that was my PR.  I also didn't run much leading up to the race, for a number of reasons.  It was also a race that I hadn't signed up for, but when Ironman Lake Tahoe was cancelled, I got a bonus week of rest before Chattanooga.  Hmmmm, rest is good.

I took a nap today, and will do that whenever the opportunity arises.  It's taper time!

No comments: