Friday, September 6, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 213: Numbers Matter

One of the main reasons to have a coach is to have someone who can be objective when you're not.  In yesterday's blog I convinced myself of the need to start shutting things down.  It was definitely fatigue speaking but I wasn't paying attention to the data.  First of all, I've been chomping at the bit to train. That's not usually indicative of being on the verge of overtraining. Second, a couple of days of rest seem to help significantly. Third, I wasn't really paying attention to the numbers.  My coach pointed out that even during my recent 45 minute bike rides, I'm putting in several (if not more) minutes of intensity.  Considering where I am in my training, and that I'm training for an ironman, I not only don't need the intensity, but if it's knocking me down, I definitely don't need it!  However, that doesn't mean it's time to shut things down.  With five weeks to go, I should be still putting in volume, which is actually what I want to do.  That volume just doesn't have to be, nor should it be, too intense.

This weekend I will make my way to Westlake Village, where I can run and bike a five mile flat loop. I won't have climbs to power up.  I can focus on getting in volume, which I've been definitely doing, but without also putting in intensity.  My coach picked a 5 1/2 hour bike ride I recently did, and noted that the amount of intensity I did during this ride would have been a solid workout in and of itself!  I've also been stressed this week by babysitting chores, which added a layer to my fatigue.  Just recognizing all of this, or rather having my coach open my eyes to it, is already making me relax and feel better.

It's funny.  I collect all of this data, but I wasn't really paying attention to it.  That's why it's not only good to have the data, but it's also good to have an objective third party, in this case my coach, make sure that I'm using the data wisely.  Numbers matter!

No comments: