Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 211: Balancing Act

This week has been challenging.  With less than six weeks to go before Kona, I can do myself more harm than good if I push too hard. I know that I've been writing a lot about this over the past week, but that's probably the point.  Sometimes the difference between overtraining and overreaching is small, but the potential impact of pushing too hard can be devastating.  I had hoped to do a long run today, but realized that the upside was small.  I've already done several long runs, and I've done five 3 hour runs since May.  Squeezing in another 20 mile run is nice, but it won't make or break my run in Kona. I still would like to do at least one more, and might possibly get two more in depending upon how I feel.  With that said, if I don't do another 20 mile run, it probably won't matter.

Life is a balancing act. Ironman training is a balancing act. The Ironman race itself is a balancing act. I've been trying to maintain some balance all week.  My brain wants to work out.  My body is feeling the stress of both training and babysitting.  I can feel the strain of everything.  That's one thing that ironman training does for you.  It makes you aware of every little thing that goes on with your body.  Ironically, not training for a few days certainly has its own impact.  I'm sure that I'm feeling the impact of fewer endorphins. I'm trying to figure out how much to eat, or not to eat.

So, instead of running today, after getting up early and taking care of my grandson, I finally had some time to work out.  It was 92 degrees out, and I went for a bike ride.  I kept my wattage under control again today, but riding in the heat has it's own stress. My heart rate was higher than I would have liked.  Still, it was a decent workout.  I took a nap later in the afternoon, and made sure that I was hydrated.  I will assess my balance every day.  I have to trust my instincts and my body.  It's a balancing act.

No comments: