Thursday, July 26, 2012

Trying to Train

It's been a tough month for training.  I've still been fighting some pain in my heel, and remarkably I've had more 15 hour workdays than I've had in a long time.  And I'm retired!  However, I actually feel pretty good about this past week.  Saturday started with a 3 1/2 mile run and was followed by a swim.  Sunday was a solid 2 hour group bike ride followed by a 21 minute transition run.  I even got in another swim later in the day.  Monday and Tuesday were 15 hour days with no training.  Wednesday started with a short swim and finished with 1 hour of hot yoga.  Today, I got in about a 30 minute bike ride with some intensity, and a short swim.  I feel like I'm at least keeping myself moving and getting some intensity in.  I actually feel like I'm finally starting to get back on track.

The last couple of months have really been a test.  I'm so used to a rigorous training schedule, I mentally and physically want to maintain one.  Unfortunately, my days are fraught with uncertainty.  I've certainly been taken "off my game".  This has made it hard to get workouts in.  Today, was a triumph.  I had a pretty full day and still managed to get myself on my bike and into the pool at the end of the day.  That said, I don't want training to be forced.  I continue to dream about the time in my future where my daily focus will be on my wife and my training.  In the meantime, I'll do what I can.

No comments: