Saturday, November 21, 2009

Official Diagnosis

So, I got the final report from my MRI and CT scans. I already knew about my distal clavicle fracture. The good news is that my rotator cuff is essentially intact. What was somewhat surprising was that I had an acetabular (hip) fracture that extended somewhat into my ischium and pubic bone (pelvis). The good news is that they were non-displaced and stable fractures. The bad news is that I can't run for 8 more weeks and need to minimize weight bearing pressure on my left hip in order to let it heal. So, no swimming or running for 8 more weeks.

The good news, however, is that the orthopedic surgeon has told me that I can do the St. George Ironman on May 1st. I will be healed by mid to late January and can resume my run and swim training at that time. In the meantime, I'm going to get tons of bike training in. In fact, I've already managed to get in rides of 60, 90 and 120 minutes this week (obviously on my indoor trainer).

I've been using a cane to keep the pressure off my left hip, and the stress of doing this adds up throughout the day. I've also been giving considerable thought to why I do triathlons. More on that in the coming days!

No comments: