Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Making progress

Worked this morning and rode on my computrainer this afternoon for almost 2 hours. I'm making progress on the bike, getting my fitness back. It's actually pretty remarkable, here I am, I can hardly walk (not really, I can walk, I just shouldn't be walking), but I can ride my bike just fine. That's really good news for my St. George preparation. I looked at some blogs about the course today and the bike course sounds reasonable. There will be a few 8-10% grades of short duration, but generally 8% will be about the worst climb. I know from my ride in Colorado Springs back in September that this won't be a problem. That said, I'll still have to figure out my max effort for such climbs. An ironman is all about pacing.

So, right now, I'm just plugging away, putting in a ton of aerobic bicycle time. Well, not a ton yet, but I will be soon. It's nice to know that I can go almost two hours indoors right now and survive mentally. Thank goodness for West Wing DVD's.

One of the really neat things about this week is that I literally did nothing for three weeks after my accident and clearly lost some fitness. That's generally not a bad thing, allowing your body to recuperate, but I was pushing wattages at about 70% of what I had been doing for a similar heart rate. Already, in less than a week and a half, I've increased my wattage by ~10%. It will be interesting to see what happens over the course of the next 4-8 weeks if I persist in putting in a lot of bike time at zone 2 effort.

No comments: