Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Journey to Kona Day 38: Inspiration

I've been doing most of my cycling indoors for the last several weeks.  I typically watch war or action movies during my rides, but switched over to dramas this week.  Yesterday, I watched "We are Marshall." It's hard not to get emotional when you see an entire college football team killed in a plane crash at the beginning of the movie.  There were times during the movie that I cried while riding.  The movie starts with the message that sports is all about winning.  The movie ends with the message that sports is all about giving it everything you've got.  I couldn't find a better inspirational message to coincide with my ironman training!

Today's movie was "42." I don't think there is an athlete who better defined courage and effort than Jackie Robinson.  It's always remarkable to be reminded of what he went through and what he accomplished.  Two and a half hours on the indoor trainer went pretty fast.  Being inspired makes the workout easier.

There are a lot of inspirational movies.  There are a lot of inspirational stories.  The training itself inspires me every day.  I'm particularly inspired lately by how quickly my fitness is returning.  Every day I feel like I could have some great races this year.  At the end of the day, that doesn't really matter.  It really is all about the journey.  That's where the true inspiration lies.

No comments: